Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Who Raises Your Kids?

The one thing I am most proud of out of everything I've accomplished in my life is my son. That's an easy enough statement. Most parents will say that right off the bat. But are parents truly proud of their kids? If someone asked you, "Why?" What would you say?

I am proud of my son because the first thing he does in the morning is pick up his pillow and his book and sits on the couch and reads. He doesn't turn on the TV, or whine for breakfast, or ask to play on the computer. He reads. Most 6 year olds are unlike my son. He is kind-hearted, generous, loving, patient, and he cares for others. He tries to make me laugh all the time. He tries to take care of me when I'm sick, and he tries to make his own breakfast when he's with me on the weekends so I can sleep a little longer.

Another reason I'm proud of him is his ability to adapt to most situations easily. He understands not everything is about him and is willing to let things happen the way I say they should.

This leads me to ask, who is raising your kids?

I only ask this because I know a lot of kids. They are constantly in my house and vice versa. I love that my son has friends and that they love spending time over here but I am troubled with what happens when he goes to other peoples' houses to hang out. I have a rule. No TV, no video games and no computer. He's 6. He should be outside playing or playing with his toys. Not sitting in front of the TV all day. And that's why I'm troubled. When he goes to his friend's house, they play video games and he loses track of time and inevitably gets in trouble for coming home late. When the kids come to my house, we make water balloons and we get out the nerf guns or the skateboards and they all go play. If it's cold or rainy, they go in his room and play with lincoln logs and army men and build forts.

I just don't understand it. Sometimes I wonder why people have kids when they don't do anything with them. Is everyone so worn out and exhausted that by the time they come home, the last thing they want is to spend time with their kids? Shouldn't there be some sort of test people should pass before reproducing? In all honesty, I just feel bad for the children. Parents don't seem to raise their own kids anymore. There are nannies, TV's, video games, computer games, and it's all portable. Children going to the grocery store with you? No problem! Pay for the cart that plays the movie and your set! Bullshit. Teach your children how to behave and you wouldn't have a problem in the first place. You would actually enjoy the time spent at the store because you raised them right. My son knows the rules. Don't ask me for anything sweet because you're not getting it. He learned that rule years ago. We have fun when we go to stores. I won't stand for anything else and he knows that. We laugh, play, and have a great time. He knows that I follow through with discipline and he respects me because of it.

Try being the one to raise your children. Spend time with them. Respect that they have an opinion just as much as you do. Don't make them feel stupid for asking questions, and try to answer them. My favorite answer is, "Let's Google it when we get home!" He loves it. We learn about things and then I send him off to play. Give them an opportunity to teach you something because trust me, there's a lot that they know and you don't. Don't settle for "fine" when you ask them how their day was. Show them that you trust them and they'll trust you in return. Children are amazing and they're completely and utterly misjudged as deceitful and evil little shits. I promise you that if you raise them right the first time, you'll earn the respect that you demand.

Discipline is key. If you say you're going to do something, you better do it. They remember when you don't. Each and every time. All they need and want is guidance, respect, and love. Nurture them and teach them, and they will love and respect you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment